Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Generation Next

Generation Next is the college group that my church has recently begun. We haven't 'launched' anything. We haven't broken ground on any buildings. We haven't plastered flyers all across the Denver metropolitan area. Actually, we have kind of just started hanging out. And it is very cool.

So far, we have had 5 or 6 Friday evening Bible studies - mostly at our leaders' house with burgers, but a couple at the church on our church's outdoor patio (it is Denver, nice as heck right now!) We have also bowled at dollar bowling night, which is Monday night, which everyone seems to like. We have hosted a formal night on the town, where the guys wore suits and the girls wore dresses and everyone ate steak at an awesome LoDo restaurant. (LoDo - Lower Downtown of Denver) This weekend we are going to go camping. Next weekend, some of the guys are going up to mountain bike down Winter Park's ski slopes. We will probably get together soon and watch a movie - I am pushing for Good Will Hunting, but we will see.

So far we have talked about relationships, fear, the perfect love of God, the ultimate call of faith - which is that we believe God loves us, the problem of pain, trials, troubles, tribulations, joy because of all of that, the fact the following Christ is not easy, but it is real - so who cares? We have talked about a lot of things and we are only just getting started. So far, what I have seen is a group of 25-35 young people, who just want to be with some people who love God like they do. I have seen people who want to honestly chase God and are asking how. I have seen young people who want to be successful in life, not in money or careers, but internally. I have seen people who are hungry for actual, honest relationships and friendships with people who relate to them.

What I haven't seen is significant spiritual posturing. (Maybe a little, but if there was any it was from me - so my bad.) I haven't seen anyone trying to dominate or preach. I haven't seen anyone who thinks they know it all. I haven't seen a desire to immediately slip into the protection of false worship songs, or large, loud and largely fake prayer moments. I haven't seen a desire by anyone to do anything other than just come and hang out.

You know what I am finding? Friends. Actual friends. People who care about me for no other reason than the fact that we are friends. I care about the people there, not because I am in a position of leadership so I have to care about them, but because they are my friends. We are being honest and open with each other. We aren't trying to prove that anyone is better than the other. We are just hanging out.

I don't know a ton about the emerging church. I don't know a lot about different church models and what works and what doesn't. I don't know much about whether or not this shift in churches is a move of God or just a cultural adjustment. I don't know.

Here is what I know. When I hang out with these people and we talk about the Bible. I feel accepted, loved and cared about. I experience God, not through loud, perfect music, but through the eyes of a bunch of honest people telling me about their walks with Him. When I study the Bible with them, it opens up to me, not through some skilled, well-crafted, tremendously eloquent, moving or funny, charismatic person who is able to design a perfect speech. The Bible opens up when we have talked about something for thirty minutes and then the person who has been the most quiet speaks up with a simple verse, that blows all of our minds and you know what - we GOT it.

Call it whatever you want. To me - this is church. Finally.

(I also blogged this over at Churchinverted.com)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

For those of you who read the Hosh Factors Blog - accept this recent piece for what it is - it is
straight from the heart of a 20 something chasing
God's word.

Generation Next is the College Group founded at
Jubilee Fellowship Church in Lonetree, Colorado.

First off - Generation Next has been positioned as a
place of refuge and a place to share's God's grace &
mercy. Please understand that the Christian faith is
not Religion - it's a relationship with God through
Jesus Christ. And it is the relationship with Christ
that seperates Christianity from a Religion format.

In the last 2 month's I have been asked several times
what the mission statement of Generation Next is - I
will be honest - I haven't had an answer.

But I do know this -
it is time to step up and represent !

Delmar & Traci Fralick
Generation Next
delmar@jfc.org

Anonymous said...

The whole point of Generation Next is to bring together a group of young adults where there is acceptance, to challenge and promote thinking and to build accountability with your peers. To help mentor and encourage growth in our daily walks, to be iron sharpening iron! To find out that you aren't alone in trying to figure life out and that some have walked in places that we haven't. To be there for each other!

We aren't well versed or well honed, but just facilitators who can provide a place for God, by His spirit to move in your lives. We desire God more then being perfect (hence us joking with Delmar for mispronouncing words, murdering them really HA HA) Delmar & I desire to speak into your lives and build leaders for the future, great adults, great husbands and wives of the future and great parents!

If you are looking for that...please join us. Please contact traci@jfc.org for further info about this new, ready to burst, group!

Anonymous said...

I love this post. Mark and I had a discussion about this very topic Sunday night. Just promise me you won't join the Relevant Magazine "Church Blows Goats" club.